I think we have talked about this before, but it bears repeating. When your Internet connection stops working suddenly or seems to be acting strange, don't immediately assume it is a problem on your end. Often times it is not a problem with your system at all. If this happens to you, follow these steps instead:
- Turn off your computer (and high speed modems and routers if you have a high speed connection)
- Wait about two or three minutes then plug everything back in and try your connection again.
- Do not fiddle with any settings if you didn't change anything before the problem.
- If you still don't have Internet access, wait about an hour or two then try again.
- If you still don't have a connection, then it is time to call your provider and report the problem. IF you haven't changed any settings on your end, don't let the tech support people talk you into changing anything. Remember, your connection was perfect a little earlier.
For high speed Internet connections, read our tip for troubleshooting your connection for more information.