In the more than 20 years that I have devoted to helping computer users, I have discovered a few computing standards:
- Many computer problems can be solved by simply restarting the computer.
- In the event of a mouse, keyboard, monitor, sound, printer or Internet problem, always triple check your cables to make sure everything is plugged in securely.
- Much to the dismay of computer users, almost all problems were caused in some way by something we did or didn’t do…usually unknowingly or inadvertently.
- Your neighbor/co-worker/family member/ cannot fix your computer.
- Very few computer users backup their important data.
With these five basic rules established, use my basic troubleshooting tips for printers, sound, Internet (click here) and other problems BEFORE panicking and before calling tech support.
You will be pleasantly surprised how either performing rule #1 above or using these guides can dig you out of a problem rather quickly.