Windows XP, Vista and the upcoming version 7 continue to help us accomplish certain computer tasks more quickly.
One of my favorite features involves the renaming of files. You can still use the techniques I outlined in a previous tip, but renaming files can be even faster with the right steps. If you have the need to rename a group of files (for example a group of freshly downloaded pictures from your digital camera), you can select them and rename them in groups. Here’s how:
- Select the files or folders you want to change to a common name by clicking on them ONE time while holding down the Ctrl key
- Push F2 on your keyboard OR right click on any file and click Rename OR click on the Rename tool from the Edit menu or the tool bar to the left of the folder
- Type the new name for your file or folder
- Press Enter on your keyboard
- Windows now assigns the same name to all the files and numbers them starting with #1
This method saves loads of time and makes organizing your files much easier.