While working with a small business client today, they asked how to insert a picture into a Word document from their scanner. “Oh, that’s an easy one”, I said to myself. Then I realized they were using the new Office 2007.
In all previous versions of Microsoft Word and other word processor worth their weight, you follow these steps to insert a picture from a scanner into a document:
- Click Insert from the menus
- Click Picture –> From Scanner or Camera
- Use your scanner software to select and scan the item you want and it instantly appears in the document
I looked for the same feature in Word 2007, and it wasn’t there. I immediately clicked to the Help menu in Word and searched for scanner. The first item in the search results (from Microsoft…not on the web) was: “Where did the Insert Picture from Scanner feature go”? Clicking the item reveals this fun fact from Microsoft:
|The From Scanner or Camera option for adding pictures to a document is not available in Microsoft Office Word 2007. Instead, you can add pictures from your camera or scanner by downloading the pictures to your computer first and then copying them from your computer into Word.|
Wow! Great job Microsoft…let’s take away features that are useful and have been around for years and add features and interfaces that decrease our productivity! Thanks.
Now let’s go through the steps to Insert a picture from a scanner into a Word 2007 document:
- Click Start
- Click All Programs
- Click the Windows Photo Gallery application
- Click File from the menus
- Click Import from Scanner or Camera
- Click the name of your scanner
- Click Import
- Click Preview button to see your scan
- Click Scan when ready
- Add keywords to your scan
- Click OK
- Close Windows Photo Gallery
- Start Microsoft Word
- Click the Insert tab from the Word Ribbon
- Click the Picture button
- Navigate to where the scan was saved (usually Pictures –> then a folder named with the date you scanned the picture)
- Double-click the pictures
- After you finish with your Word document, remember to go back and delete the scan because you didn’t really want to save it…just insert it into a Word document!
Woo hoo!! A brand new program that has already decreased my productivity by moving items around and making me hunt for features I could find in a second on older versions and taken away tried and true drop down menus has now taken away a feature that for more than 12 years could be accomplished in 3-4 steps and turned it into an 18 step feature! I challenge anyone reading this to show me how this is in-any-way-shape-or-form progress?