Despite what big box store sales people try to sell you, don’t buy a copy of Microsoft Office. On all new commercial computers today, manufacturers install a trial version of Microsoft Office AND a copy of Microsoft Office Starter Edition.
Microsoft Office Starter Edition does NOT expire and is every bit as functional as its costly brethren. The Starter editions includes only Word and Excel. If you need PowerPoint or other Office components, then yes, you will have to pay for it, but for many, many users, the Starter Edition with Word and Excel is more than adequate.
If you buy a new computer, here’s how to setup the Microsoft Office Starter Edition:
1. Click Start –> All Programs –> Microsoft Office
2. Click the Use Office Starter 2010 button
3. Click green Open button on next screen
4. Wait for Windows to install and configure the program
5. Click Accept on the Microsoft Office License screen
6. Click Use Recommended Settings option, then OK on next screen
7. Word will open and you will find access to both Word and Excel in your All Programs menu under the Microsoft Office Starter Edition folder.
8. Click the Donate button to the right of this tip to donate some of the $100+ I just saved you!!