Name: TERRY JAMESON
From: LARKSPUR CO.
OS: Windows XP
I WOULD LOVE TO USE FIREFOX, BUT IT SHUTS DOWN CONSTANTLY. THE INFAMOUS BOX COMES UP AND STATES THAT IT HAS “ECOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO SHUT DOWN.” I HAVE TRIED TO UPDATE IT SEVERAL TIMES, BUT IT CONTINUES TO BE A PROBLEM.
Normally, I don’t read or answer questions written to me in all caps. Not because I think the person is yelling at me (which I’m ok with), but because reading anything more than two words in all caps hurts my eyes. In this case, however, I know Terry. He used to be a client of mine when he lived in Grand Junction. Terry, keep in mind that it hurts people’s eyes to read all caps…IF they read it at all.
Now to your question. Usually, Firefox (or any browser) has problems starting because of some add-on or third party toolbar. To correct the problem, run through these steps:
- Close all programs
- Click Start –> All Programs
- Click Mozilla Firefox
- Click Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode
- A small screen will appear that says Firefox Safe Mode and have a lot of checkboxes
- Click the Continue in Safe Mode button
- Firefox should open and operate normally. If it does, click Tools –> Add ons
- Disable all the add-ons you normally use, and uninstall the ones you don’t use or don’t know what they are
- Close Firefox
- Restart Firefox should operate normally now. If so, Click Tools –> Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons you do want to use
Thanks for writing Terry, and hope all is well with you.